The band tee, it's the one item that allows you to show your music taste, replay those iconic moments from live shows, and just look cool as hell. I'm sure you've been to a concert or two, and convinced yourself to cough up the $35 on the cool tee displayed behind the merch table. We've all been there, but it's time to talk about styling and the rules that are attached to every single band tee. Let's get straight into it; shall we?
The Rules of the band tee.
Before you purchase that shirt you spotted at Urban Outfitters, you need to know these five rules.
1. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT purchase the shirt unless you have a musical connection for the artist. At least know three songs by the artist (lyrics, not just the name of it).
2. Trends are cool, but please, don't wear the shirt for it. When the fad of that band tee, you'll still have that Instagram post in your feed that makes you look like a d-bag. Don't be like those ripped/bleached band tee dudes. Yuck!
3. Wearing the shirt of the artist to their show is not okay. The few exceptions are if the artist has made a brand of merch that's popular in the fashion culture. (Examples: Beyonce's statement tees, Bieber's Purpose Tour merch, Kanye's Pablo collection)
4. Wearing them to music festivals are acceptable, if you can execute the look completely. You don't want to be the victim of someone's Snapchat story for trying to hard.
5. Know that a band tee is not always a band's tee. Any shirt that promotes musicians is a band tee. Unless it's a Nickelback shirt, don't wear that shit.
Styling the shirt.
Now that you have the rules of the band tee, you need the rule of styling it. Look like a bad ass; that's all. The shirt is usually very bold and appealing on the eyes, so you have to be as well.
Adding a flannel, leather or denim jacket, and kick-ass jeans can really take you to another level. With this Guns N' Roses tee I found at American Eagle Outfitters, I knew my look had to be dark and tough. Pairing these black ripped denim from ASOS with the tee gave my look a bold statement from the beginning. I decided to add the J.Crew wash shirt around my waist to give a edgy rock vibe, but also shows street style. The Chelsea boots were added, because why not? I chose the baseball cap over other hat styles because it's simple. Adding a fedora or a beanie would have been too much in my opinion, since the tied shirt makes the statement. Last, but not least are my Fossil Sunglasses. The eyewear just adds on to the bold look. When I'm walking to my destination with my headphones in blaring 'Welcome To The Jungle' and a killer look, it gives a cool, yet mysterious tone. That's exactly what the band tee is about! I hope this post was beneficial to you in some way. Now, go rock out and kill it! Until next time. -Denz
Here is where it all lies. From my personal stories, to fashion ideas, to opinions about music. This is where I let you into my mind and creativity.